Worst completed series

Talk about all things anime and manga here!
Cirrus

Worst completed series

Post by Cirrus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Just to start things off, what is the worst series you've seen all the way through? Let me hear your war stories, knowing this community mine's probably not much though.

I've seen a lot of stinkers since the vast majority of the people I know who are into anime are stereotypical weeaboos. I get roped into watching things with them since we're friends and they can't watch things alone for some reason.

Possible tangent aside, the worst series I've seen is Seikon no Qwasar (Qwasar of Stigmata). Both seasons and ovas. For those of you not familiar with this one, 2 Guys and A Mic did episodes on it way back when it was new. I ended up seeing it because I was at my best friend's birthday, and someone slipped him the dvds as a present. Needless to say, he ended up putting it on and marathoning that mass of lactation till we had to leave next morning.

Wild Shocker

Re: Worst completed series

Post by Wild Shocker » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 pm

During a phase I never ever want to talk about, I saw a show called Toradora. Anime fans have called it a heartwarming, tearjerking story that'll make you feel the feels. Naturally, being anime fans, they were wrong. What I got was some sappy, melodramatic bullshit that tried to clumsily hook viewers in by being wacky and sometimes dramatic. And it never balances out the two in a good way, btw. Not at all. It's just a shitty anime fans will eat up for the feels and not realize how dumb it is. This show was probably the moment I realized "Wait a second, this shit is dumb!" during my phase. And would you look at that? It's based on a light novel. Great.
Last edited by Wild Shocker on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there's anything worse than having diabetes, it's being Moviebob and Jim Sterling combined.

Maliyana

Post by Maliyana » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Elfen Lied was pretty shit, for numerous reasons, but I think the main character's backstory was the dumbest thing. I've heard that the manga is much more edgy then the anime (I've only seen the anime.) Apparently in the manga, some mad-scientist uses one of Dicloniuses (the pink haired superpowered girls) as a "compass" or whatever the fuck. In order to do this, she has to be in constant pain, so he rapes her and tortures her 24/7.

Wild Shocker

Post by Wild Shocker » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Maliyana wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 pm
Elfen Lied was pretty shit, for numerous reasons, but I think the main character's backstory was the dumbest thing. I've heard that the manga is much more edgy then the anime (I've only seen the anime.) Apparently in the manga, some mad-scientist uses one of Dicloniuses (the pink haired superpowered girls) as a "compass" or whatever the fuck. In order to do this, she has to be in constant pain, so he rapes her and tortures her 24/7.
........You can't be serious. That can't be an actual thing someone wrote down and thought it didn't sound laughable. No way.
If there's anything worse than having diabetes, it's being Moviebob and Jim Sterling combined.

Maliyana

Post by Maliyana » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Wild Shocker wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm
........You can't be serious. That can't be an actual thing someone wrote down and thought it didn't sound laughable. No way.

Yep. In fact, I found a relevant article: http://elfen-lied.wikia.com/wiki/Number_28

I actually got a few details wrong, like it may be a lot less stupid than I remembered, but that's not saying much.
Number 28's role in the story is heartbreakingly tragic. After being brutally and repeatedly raped by The Unknown Man, she was eviscerated and placed within a case, used as a sensor for other Diclonii. Further, researchers implanted with a device designed to cause her excruciating pain just in case her vectors should emerge. She also had her vocal cords severed so she could not even cry out in pain. The Unknown Man intended to use her to track other Diclonii, especially Lucy, but instead, she found Nana at the Maple House. She contacted telepathically, appearing in the form of a faceless, legless monster, warning Nana of the Unknown Man and begging her to kill her to end her suffering. In this condition, even with life support, she would not have lasted more than three days. When he discovered Number 28 had found Nana instead of Lucy, the Unknown Man killed her in a fit of rage over what he saw as her uselessness.
Age 6-7 years old
Last edited by Maliyana on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AO_Kevin

Post by AO_Kevin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:30 pm

I'll give Elfen Lied this much, it has one of the most unintentionally hilarious first episodes of any show I've seen.

Actually, the whole show has some unintentionally hilarious moments!

Wild Shocker

Post by Wild Shocker » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:34 pm

I remember watching the anime and laughing at how ridiculously cruel the children in the main girl's backstory was.

Revolver Giraffe

Post by Revolver Giraffe » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:03 pm

The first half of the first episode of Elfen Lied was fun. Then it stopped being a cheesy splatterfest and turned into... whatever the fuck it turned into.

KingMan

Post by KingMan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Probably Madoka Magica. I marathoned the whole show and while I can see what they were going for, the execution was nowhere near as good as, say, your average episode of The Twilight Zone.

Dishonorable mention to Toradoa, for the reasons Wild Shocker mentioned.

GorillaGamer

Post by GorillaGamer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 pm

I have two nominations for worst completed series I ever saw.

The first one is Eiken, that absurd fetish anime that nearly put me off women for good. To this day, I had no idea what possessed 13-year old me to watch that shit. Easily the worst part of Eiken was that 12-year old loli bitch, with ridiculously large breasts, something that could be seen as disturbing foreshadowing in regards to that loli dragon from that shitty Dragon Maid manga.

The second one was the anime adaptation for Akame ga Kill! I'll admit that I kind of liked the manga, despite it being overly edgy crap. However, I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of the characters, with the exception of Chelsea. When I heard how bad the anime was, I was admittedly curious about it, and watched it to see if what everyone was saying is the truth, and boy were they right. Not only was the story rushed, removing a lot of elements from the manga that the fans enjoyed, but the anime looked and felt so amateur. I was highly tempted to dump the anime once Chelsea bit the dust, but I figured that I'll finish what I started. The one good thing about the anime is that you can grab a few of your mates, drink a couple of beers, and laugh at how absurd the whole thing is.
Jesus man what is up with you and all of those waifus! Are you secretly the "Ultimate Pimp"?
A quote from Project AFTER
Gorillagram only gets sexual stimulation from playing Pokemon Reborn and its derivatives.
A quote from Andrew himself