Yu-Gi-Oh!

Talk about all things anime and manga here!
Max-Vader

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Post by Max-Vader » Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm

B_VuObgWAAA2sI1.jpg large.jpg
Yu-Gi-Oh! is, as everyone already knows, a series about people playing card games. I'll give a short summary of each series:

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Egyptian Pharaoh takes over the body of a japanese highschooler with absolutely fucked hair in order to fuck with people. Later, he plays the now famous card game to retrieve his memories, save the most fabulous gravekeeper ever from his evil side at the request of his hotpants sister and also time travel back to ancient egypt in order to save the world from an evil crotch-dragon. He then passes onto the afterlife. Something something friendship heart of the cards. Also features my namesake who enjoys wine, trolling and cartoon characters.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Seto Kaiba, everyone's favorite Nietzsche-reading, dragon-obsessed rich jerk created an academy where you learn how to play cardgames. The main character Jaden is one of the students and constantly gets lectured for actually daring to play the game for fun rather than treating it as SERIOUS BUSINESS. Season 1 involves an old man in a wheelchair trying to become young again via God-card knockoffs with minions that include a female vampire with the most kawaii of facial expressions. Season 2 is about a crazy cultist possessed by the incarnation of evil and light that uses tarot cards to predict the future, forcing Jaden to retalliate with really shitty alien cards. Also underground duels with electric shocks. In season 3, Jaden and his friends are banished into a dimension where duel monsters are real by his crazy ex-girlfriend who is also a duel monster and an ancient spirit from not-Atlantis. In the end, he stops her from destroying the world by doing the fusion dance/sex with her. Lastly, season 4 has the (actually not really evil) skeleton-God of darkness trying to stop suffering by doing the third impact except with more darkness and no incest and creating a collective (un)consciousness by driving everyone on the planet insane with horrific, hopeless nightmare scenarios that they have to live out until they break. Also he cheats at card games. Jaden defeats him with the help of his girlfriend and all is right with the world.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: In the future, everyone duels on motorcycles for no reason. This series introduced Synchro summoning, which sucks the dick of a shit. Just like the series itself, really. Assholes from the future where the plot device energy generator pulled a terminator and fucked everyone up try to kill people and then fuse into one guy (?!) but the main character stops him via the retarded dragon bullshit power tattoos of destiny.
At least Team Ragnarok was kinda cool though, they had what amounted to Norse God cards.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal: In the far future, an autistic kid gets possessed by a gay alien. Sort of like the whole Yugi/Pharaoh dynamic except gay(er) and shit. XYZ (read: Exceed (for some reason)) is introduced and manages to not horribly suck mechanically. Too bad you can't say the same thing about the protagonist or most characters. Many of them turn out to be aliens because reasons, also one kid is a crazy serial killer. The main character and a few other assholes literally have a magic power which is explicitly stated to allow them to draw whatever card they want. On higher levels, they can LITERALLY CREATE IMAGINARY CARDS WITH THE EXACT SPECIFIC BULLSHIT POWERS THEY NEED TO WIN. At the end, the main character defeats the gay alien emperor, obtains the powers of God and resets the universe or some shit because what the fuck I hate this show.
Anna Kaboom is my waifu.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V: Jesus Christ, why. Main character is a huge faggot who plays with stuffed circus animal-like things called Performapals. His goal is to become some sort of entertainment performance duelist. Turns out the universe was split in four (organized after summoning methods they use: Fusion, Synchro, XYZ and the new one, Pendulum, which is aight) because of the actions of an evil God-King that was (SURPRISE) the main character. He and his girlfriend that stopped him back then split into four people, one for each universe, and all of them suck. The fusion dimension are basically Yu-Gi-Oh! GX's setting and some characters copied with no alterations except now they are the villains. Some androgynous shota bitch uses evil stuffed animals called Frightfurs.
I want to die.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS: The new show. Only three episodes are out as of this writing. It introduces Link monsters and has a hacker/cyberspace theme. The main character, in a refreshing change of pace, is not a frothing retard. Also there's some clever bits in it. I really like it so far.

Discuss.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh!

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Sun May 28, 2017 12:30 am

I really liked the first few issues of the original manga. Damn, Yami was a major badass in that and I wish they kept the multiple games instead of just the cards. (Though I understand why.)
"Lying: It's the responsible thing to do."-Louie, Ducktales (2017)

KingMan

Post by KingMan » Sun May 28, 2017 1:13 pm

The game has held up surprisingly well, but the show started to suck around the time of the Dartz saga. Have to agree with YHE about the early manga ruling.

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Part of me still can't believe it was supposed to be a horror manga originally.
Have you finished those errands?

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:05 am

It still had it's light moments, but the punishments people got where pretty nasty (like what happens with the guy who tries to hold up a restaurant).
"Lying: It's the responsible thing to do."-Louie, Ducktales (2017)

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:47 am

I remember in the manga where Yugi forced some guy to listen to the sound of his own beating heart. That was pretty fucked up.
Have you finished those errands?