Dragon Ball

Talk about all things anime and manga here!
Cody

Re: Dragon Ball

Post by Cody » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 am

OG Dragon Ball, while being more lighthearted with a greater focus on adventure, is far more juvenile (early Dragonball had a lot of poop and boob jokes) and the plots are far more "Saturday Morning Cartoon". A lot of people will gravitate toward OG DB out of a contrarian response to Z's popularity and even doing to purposefully to show how not-seriously they take things.

Mr. Boat

Post by Mr. Boat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Cody wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 am
OG Dragon Ball, while being more lighthearted with a greater focus on adventure, is far more juvenile (early Dragonball had a lot of poop and boob jokes) and the plots are far more "Saturday Morning Cartoon". A lot of people will gravitate toward OG DB out of a contrarian response to Z's popularity and even doing to purposefully to show how not-seriously they take things.
Seems consistent with a lot of pop culture these days. It's pretty much the same reason why comic book critics creamed their jeans over the Mark Waid run on Daredevil, which deviated wildly from the dark, noir-ish tone of the character for decades in favor of insipid Silver and Bronze Age worship, despite sales hitting record lows.
ImageImage

Wild Shocker

Post by Wild Shocker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 am

Mr. Boat wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 am
As someone who isn't a DBZ fan, can you explain what's weird about people preferring the original Dragon Ball to Z?
For some of the good things OG Dragon Ball had, when you look closer ala RedLetterMedia, you start to realize how flawed it is. Z is and always has been, much better executed than its older brother.
If there's anything worse than having diabetes, it's being Moviebob and Jim Sterling combined.

Spikey Buddy

Post by Spikey Buddy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Cody wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 am
Those kinds of gags are easy to hone in on when you haven't found your stride yet. Just look at Naruto's beginning, when it had more toilet humor and Sexy Jutsu more than anything (though it can be argued whether or not Naruto ever hit it's stride overall). I think even with OG Dragon Ball's faults, the adventure was still interesting enough to keep the viewer, which I think says a lot about Toriyama's talent as a storyteller. I don't think I'm alone when I say that after when the Saiyan saga started and Raditz arrived was when Dragon Ball as a whole really hit the mark when it shifted to more action orientated fights and the more darker and visceral tone. I personally enjoyed both OG Dragonball and Dragonball Z equally.

Cody

Post by Cody » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 am

Yeah, when the "Z" portion kicked off was when the series got a lot more interesting. Before that the best we had was the Red Ribbon Army. Piccolo Daimaou was criminally dull, as was his arc (can anyone remember anything besides Piccolo killing Shenron and Goku's fight with Piccolo Jr.? Like I forgot Tambourine killed Krillin until DB Super reminded me). When Raditz showed up, Dragonball started dropping bombs and amping up the stakes. And the Freeza Saga was just a parade of more inspired villains and designs than we'd had up until then, and Freeza was a sign Toriyama had finally figured out how to do an evil overlord character in an interesting way.