Good and Free Games

Talk about the vidya gaems here!
Aythya

Good and Free Games

Post by Aythya » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Or bad and free games, I don't really care.

We all like games, but it can be an expensive hobby. Spread the word about free games that are worth checking out! They can be full games, free demos, or simple little timepassers, there's someone here for every game.

I'm a big fan of Birdsong and Roguelight, by Daniel Linssen.

Birdsong is a platformer, where you're a bird. And you have the whole world before you- literally, it's all squished into the screen. I love the look, and it's a very simple game with a great challenge to it.

Roguelight is a roguelike where you're trying to get as deep in this cave as possible, and you only have arrows to light the way. Very simple, but I think it's enjoyable. It's great to dive into for a bit to pass the time.
(Okay technically it's not a roguelike but I still like the wordplay. It is procedurally generated though.)

https://managore.itch.io/

JacksonFall

Re: Good and Free Games

Post by JacksonFall » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:51 pm

http://www.brawlhalla.com/

It's a free-to-play Smash clone that's actually pretty fun despite some glaring flaws. Those flaws being that every character has the same basic moveset and it does that MOBA bullshit where you have to buy characters.

That notwithstanding, it's pretty fun if you don't have access to a real Smash game and you can get a big enough group together.
Why don't you have a seat over there?

Revolver Giraffe

Post by Revolver Giraffe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:56 pm

An Untitled Story is a Metroidvania about an egg. It features simplistic, charming graphics belying a surprisingly expansive and challenging game, like a proto-Hollow Knight.

Cave Story is one of the best platformers ever made. Maybe you've heard of it.

Chex Quest is the best game I ever got in a cereal box. But seriously, for being G-rated Doom, it's actually a very fun game, and the sequels (which are bundled with the version in the link) improve on it significantly.

Kerberous

Post by Kerberous » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:47 am

Maldita Castilla is a love letter to a certain Capcom video game franchise. The only flaw that I can think of is the length of the game, considering that you don't have to finish it twice for the ending.

Streets of Rage Remake is one of the best beat 'em ups ever made. If you like beat 'em ups, I doubt you can find another free one that has this much content without being shit. And once you're done with all the scenarios and challenges, there are also dozens of fanmade scenarios to try.

White Day is the only video game non-Silent Hill game that is actually scary. Instead of being a jumpscare fest like most horror games, it actually relies on the atmosphere for most of its scares. It is also the only game I can think of that was censored because it was "too scary" for the Korean gamers. The only problem? Getting it to work properly will likely be a huge pain. Or you can just wait for the remake on Steam or PS4 that's hopefully coming this year.

Aythya

Post by Aythya » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 pm

Y'all need to know about Nitrome, especially if you love yourself some pretty pixels. They're a site of Good Little Games, and if I'm looking for a quality time waster they're probably high on my list.

I just love Colourblind so much. It's so good. You're an eye, Right Eye specifically, and you're trying to rescue your Left Eye, and you need to see (or not see) certain colors to rescue her from the thundercloud pirate.
It's a good game.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 am

Burrito Bison is an extremely addictive, yet simple game where you play a luchador that is trying to escape a land of Gummy BEars.
"It's best for your heroes to die before they can disappoint you."-Joe, The Carmichael Show

Aythya

Post by Aythya » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Why would you remind me of Burrito Bison? I wanted to get things done today!

I like https://hex.frvr.com/ as a solitaire (but not Solitaire) game. And if you're fine with cookies and the lot, it saves on your computer, so it's a nice "play for a few minutes then leave again" game.

Cody

Post by Cody » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 am

Some brilliant mother fuckers made something called Mega Maker, which lets you make your own Mega Man levels ala Mario Maker. Gonna set aside some time later in the week to try it out, but the fact it exists makes me tingle in my downstairs.

GorillaGamer

Post by GorillaGamer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 am

Kerberous wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:47 am
White Day is the only video game non-Silent Hill game that is actually scary. Instead of being a jumpscare fest like most horror games, it actually relies on the atmosphere for most of its scares. It is also the only game I can think of that was censored because it was "too scary" for the Korean gamers. The only problem? Getting it to work properly will likely be a huge pain. Or you can just wait for the remake on Steam or PS4 that's hopefully coming this year.
Just a question but is the game one of those Wolf RPG games, like Mad Father?
Jesus man what is up with you and all of those waifus! Are you secretly the "Ultimate Pimp"?
An old quote from Project PATREON.

Kerberous

Post by Kerberous » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 am

GorillaGamer wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 am
Kerberous wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:47 am
Just a question but is the game one of those Wolf RPG games, like Mad Father?
Never played Mad Father, but it looks like they couldn't be more different.