Fuck Cape Comics Thread

You get the idea...
Max-Vader

Fuck Cape Comics Thread

Post by Max-Vader » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Most comic books are fucking terrible. In this thread, we discuss the worst examples. Here's one for you: Injustice.

uh.jpg
what.jpg
MuhGayMarriage.jpg

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Re: Fuck Cape Comics Thread

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Thu May 18, 2017 5:27 pm

I've mentioned it before, but America is the worst comic series I've read since Wacky Raceland. It's got everything that is wrong with modern cape comics: a majorly PC protagonist (a brown, lesbian Latina with two mommies), a creative team that was chosen for their labels over talent, awful dialogue, mediocre art with flat coloring, said protagonist getting her ass kissed no matter who annoying she is and being downright unlikable (America does not think things through, isn't that bright, is rude to white people in general (unless they're gay) while being all nice and wonderful to those who are darker than her).

Here's a read through of the second issue
"Lying: It's the responsible thing to do."-Louie, Ducktales (2017)

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I kind of went over this in the chat, but for those who didn't hear, D.C. and Marvel are both guilty of injecting their shitty political opinions into their comics. I'll start with the stroyline surrounding the Americops. A Nick Spencer original. (You'll probably be seeing his name pop up quite a bit in these posts.)

So, after Captain America declared that he was a Hydra agent all along, Red Falcon was brought in to replace him. With Captain America now black, Spencer began what was probably one of the dumbest, preachiest, story lines in Marvel's history: The Americops Saga. The Americops are an army of cybernetic policemen who are unnecessarily violent while targeting the poor, minorities, and poor minorities. Their aim: to rid the cities of "undesirables" thereby gentrifying the area.

This helped introduce the character Rage back into the Marvel story. He's an angsty thirteen year old boy in the body of a buff thirty year old man. He doesn't like bullies or people in authority. He especially doesn't like bullies in authority. I'm not even kidding.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Elvin_Haliday_(Earth-616)

While at a [not BLM] protest in NYC, Rage first taunts and then begins to fight the Americops. Captain America Falcon sees him on television standing up to the Americops and is impressed. (The footage is from before the fight breaks out.) America Falcon heads to the protest to meet Rage in person. When he arrives he sees the fight and has to save him before he's arrested. Later on, Rage is blamed for armed robbery by the Americops, convicted, and given the harshest sentence by a racist judge. Captain America Falcon bails him out again before making Rage his sidekick.

Now this story line was running during Milo Yiannopolous' Dangerous Faggot Tour. At the end of said tour, Milo had his infamous arrival at UC Berkeley. Marvel decided to include this, with the introduction of Ariella Conner and The Bombshells. Ariella Conner was a fictional conservative writer opposed to illegal immigration. In the story, she appeared on a talk show where she discussed Red Falcon's replacement being a publicly outspoken illegal immigrant. This drew the ire of the student body, so when she came to give a talk on border security and it's relation to illegal immigration at Empire State University, the university was attacked by students. Characters calling themselves The Bombshells then stormed the premises, demanding that Conner be handed over so that they may kill her. Rage and America Falcon, who were there in order to debunk her political views, are interrupted when The Bombshells blow up part of the building. They guard the doors while Conner escapes. Later on, Rage and America Falcon remark on how they would've never been able to make her see the light as she was just too far gone. This was released during the aftermath of the Berkeley riots.

After Marvel realized that people were cancelling subscriptions over making Steve Rogers a Nazi, they panicked. So Nick Spencer created the character Paul Keane. I'm not going to go into everything, I'll just give the link to the wiki entry.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Paul_Keane_(Earth-616)
Attachments
Bombshells_(Earth-616)_from_Captain_America_Sam_Wilson_Vol_1_17_001.jpg
Americops_(Earth-11418)_from_Captain_America_Corps_Vol_1_1_0001.jpg
Americops_(Earth-11418)_from_Captain_America_Corps_Vol_1_1_0001.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Americops_(Earth-616)_from_Captain_America_Sam_Wilson_Vol_1_9_001.jpg

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Unstoppable Wasp has the positive goal of wanting to get girls interested in perusing STEM careers. Given that it's written by the guy who does Princeless (where at least half of the men are either jerks, incompetent or strawmen) and that issue of MLP: FIM which was supposed to be a Black Lives Matter metaphor with dragons, it's not pretty. Heck, the only reason the villainess became one is because men wouldn't take her seriously as a top-notch scientist.

KingMan

Post by KingMan » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 pm

It doesn't help that the "I'm gonna become a supervillain because no one takes me seriously" thing has been a cliché for comics for decades, and, judging by the article, it sounds like they couldn't even get that right.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Fri May 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Here's proof that non-cape comics can be just as SJW-infected/cringy and in some cases, arguably worse.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Marvel has not learned its lesson with their latest soapboxing attempt in Secret Empire #3. Not to mention the art and the coloring looks terrible. Mostly monotone color schemes can be done well (Starve definitely proved this), but this fails at it.

KingMan

Post by KingMan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Wait, they're still going on with this? And why is the Punisher joining HYDRA?

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Good question. I'm guessing because he's a whiiiitttteee maaalllleeee and is known to be more right wing in his views. Speaking of SJW writers, I knew that Kieron Gillen is a major SJW, but not to the point that he sincerely apologized for being straight at an LGBT gathering. (I just heard this.)