Movie Thread

You get the idea...
Yaoi Huntress Earth

Movie Thread

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm

I figured why not? I just saw It yesterday and it's definitely an example of how you should be doing a remake. The acting is great, the kids are likable, it doesn't ride the coattails of the mini-series, there's no agenda or identity politics and Bill Skarsgard does an excellent job as Pennywise and makes the role his own.

Another I watched a few weeks ago is The Belko Experiment which is pretty much Battle Royale meets The Office. As you can expect, it's got plenty of gore, some uncomfortable scenes and issues (like this scene where a man is writing a letter to his kids in case he doesn't survive, saying that he loves them and then starts to cry) and there are characters you really come to care about. It has some flaws, but I liked it. One thing I found interesting is that The Kiriyama of the story has an understandable motive, he's fighting because he wants to get back to his family in one piece. He also was going to spare the employees with young children in the second round.

I've noticed there's types of characters in these deathmatch stories, here's the ones I've found...

The Shuya: Named after Shuya Nanahara from Battle Royale, the Shuya is the one that stands up to the slaughter and cruelty that the game and his/her fellow players indulge in. Will do what they can to solve things peacefully, is loyal to his/her allies, is merciful and usually survives these stories. There are rare cases where the Shuya will be a side character who still play the same roles (see The Condemed).

The Noriko: She is The Shuya's romantic interest or at least has a crush on him. Her usefulness varies (ranging from useless to doing it on her own) depending on the situation and what country the story was written in. Has a fair chance of surviving if The Shuya is the main character.

Captain Badass: This is the badass guy who plows through the game like an action hero and will help out the good-aligned characters even if he finds them naive. Unless he is the main character, he will die near the end of the story.

Action Girl:
The female counterpart of Captain Badass, except a little less powerful. She tends to die midway through the story.

Scumweasel: The sleazy, lusty, jerk who enjoys playing the game for the power and the chance to get his grubby mitts on the women. Sneaky and cruel, he will use any trick until karma hits him and he turns into a coward or simply gives up. Unless he's the main antagonist, he will die midway to the 2/3rds of the story.

The Innocent:
Good-hearted and supportive, The Innocent has a sweetness/charm that makes the viewer and others tend to like them. They help out the protagonist and see the good in everyone (even the bad ones), but lacks the strength and drive to fight. Will get killed halfway through the story either due to crueler souls or their own bad luck.

The Kiriyama:
The antagonist version of Captain Badass. They're usually happy to indulge in the slaughter for their own pleasure, have few morals and let nothing stand in their way. Unlike the Scumweasel, The Kiriyama isn't swayed by offers of sex or power and isn't afraid to take people who aren't weaker or female.
"Lying: It's the responsible thing to do."-Louie, Ducktales (2017)

Mr. Boat

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Mr. Boat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:34 pm

So the Captain Badass could also be easily called The Kawada, right? And the Scumweasel could probably also be called The Mitsuko (at least the female counterpart, anyway), so long as we're sticking with Battle Royale.

On a related note, I bought and started reading the novel Battle Royale last year, after having seen the movie a few years ago. Every so often I'll go back and knock a few more chapters off, though it's hard to find the time. The plot unfolds pretty similarly to the movie, though Kiriyama is a lot different in the book.
ImageImage

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Mr. Boat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:34 pm
So the Captain Badass could also be easily called The Kawada, right? And the Scumweasel could probably also be called The Mitsuko (at least the female counterpart, anyway), so long as we're sticking with Battle Royale.
The Scumweasel is more like Niida (Battle Royale) or Wendel from The Belko Experiment. Mitsuko would be more of what I call, The Fatale: sneaky, ruthless, will use feminine charm, cruelty and/or her own degeneracy to get what she wants. She tends to make it near the end of the story.

Mr. Boat

Post by Mr. Boat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Yaoi Huntress Earth wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:22 pm
Mr. Boat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:34 pm
The Scumweasel is more like Niida (Battle Royale) or Wendel from The Belko Experiment. Mitsuko would be more of what I call, The Fatale: sneaky, ruthless, will use feminine charm, cruelty and/or her own degeneracy to get what she wants. She tends to make it near the end of the story.
Right, that's a better distinction. I'd say the Action Girl is most like Chigusa, in that case.

On the same subject, I have a friend I met through jiu-jitsu whose personality is eerily similar to that of Kiriyama from the movie, aside from being mute. I'm quite convinced he's capable of being a seriously sadistic motherfucker if he wants to be :lol:
ImageImage

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 am

Now that it's Halloween, I been going through some horror DVDs I have to finish. So far I'm going through the first three Puppet Master films (I'm going to be on part 2 next). I've always loved the designs of the puppets.