Persona/Shin Megami Thread

Talk about the vidya gaems here!
Yaoi Huntress Earth

Persona/Shin Megami Thread

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Since Gavin E and Max-Vader like the series (and so do I), I thought it would be nice to have a thread for these two series. Now that Persona 5 is out, a few things have crossed my mind as I was playing (I'm at the fourth castle)...

-The game is surprisingly dark for a story about teens playing "Phantom Thieves" with an anthropomorphic cat. So far, it's been handled with tact and let's just say that the first boss is a real scumbag. It still has the same Persona brand humor though with two fun moments to be a total dick.
-The cute character (Morgana) isn't annoying like Teddy got later on. His crush on "Lady Ann" is cute and not pervy. That and he can turn into a stylish van.
-Building the social links for the non-playable characters actually means something and you get little rewards for it, like a boost in stats, ability to make SP recovery items, the ability to switch members during a fight, etc.

They're also going to re-make SMT: Strange Journey with voice work and at least one new character. I'm just hoping this one doesn't bash you over the head with it's ongoing message of how "greedy, wasteful and horrid" humanity is and how it was their fault the Demons were acting like jerks. I know Japanese stuff has done this before.
"Lying: It's the responsible thing to do."-Louie, Ducktales (2017)

Gavin E. Sparks

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Thread

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm actually kinda new 2 the series. Persona 5 being my gateway.

I still wanna play DDS and Nocturne someday.
Have you finished those errands?

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Nocture is hard from what I remember and it's been a long time since I've played DDS. I have yet to play Q and I'm not interested in Dance All Night or the Fire Emblem vs SMT one, either. When I first heard of the third one, I was expecting a smart story which would be like a toned-down Game of Thrones where the main characters have their "Reasons" (the philosophy of the person who wants to reshape the world) and are fighting each other with Fire Emblem's tactical style to see who wins. Instead, what we got is some music idol crap.

DarkFatalKnight

Post by DarkFatalKnight » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm still playing Persona 5, I'm about 90 hours in game. I'm close to beating the sixth palace and possibly close to beating the game at this point.

As for confidants, I maxed out Iwai's and Takemi's so far (I romanced Takemi btw, can't romance Iwai ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

As for the other Persona games, I played 4 Golden and I liked it. I played the 3rd one, but I never gotten around to finishing it. Played Dancing All Night, it was alright but I didn't expect much since it is a rhythm game.

DarkFatalKnight

Post by DarkFatalKnight » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 pm

Finished Persona 5. It took me over 110 hours to complete the game, and it was worth it. Also I used Morgana on the final fight which is surprising considering I haven't used him since I reached the second palace, and I was lucky that I upgraded his equipment before the last palace. Had to rely on getting healed up more since Makoto was drained of SP.

Anyway, it's a great game and I'm going to play it again soon on my new save game plus file.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:20 pm

I'm just awaiting for the results of the fifth castle and I ended up romancing the teacher out of curiosity (who has a level 10 benefit that allows you to do another activity at night even after going to Mementos). I was a little disappointed with the Hawaii trip since I would've loved to have their attempt to pick-up girls be more interactive. (Kind of like the vacation in Persona 3 where one woman is not what she seems.)

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:54 am

I'm on the Third palace so far after spending my entire Friday playing the game. I know I shoulda focused more on other stuff, but this game is so fun.

Also, Makoto rocks.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 am

Yusuke sticks out for me in a nostalgic way. Probably because he's the kind of guy I would've totally pursued in high school (the creative, follows his own beat type).

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 am

Yusuke's great as well. I like how his relationship with Madarame is someone he once looked up to in contrast with Ryuji and Anne.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 pm

DarkFatalKnight wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 pm
As for confidants, I maxed out Iwai's and Takemi's so far (I romanced Takemi btw, can't romance Iwai ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).
I'm sure when the golden version comes out and you can play as a girl, you can have a chance to hold his gun.