The Good Comics Thread

You get the idea...
Max-Vader

The Good Comics Thread

Post by Max-Vader » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 pm

It's no secret that most comic books nowadays really, really suck. Between awful art, mind-bendingly idiotic stories, obnoxious attempts at humor, leftist propaganda and islamic propaganda (google Ardian Syaf and as a bonus check out the kid gloves-treatment he recieved for his vile garbage AND having the balls to lie about doing it) there isn't a lot of quality material left. However, good comics still exist, so this thread is dedicated to the few exceptions that are actually worth reading, both new and old. Here are two examples to get you started:

Transmetropolitan.jpg

Ah yes, Transmetroplitan. Despite the fact that this comic mostly centers around politics and that it leans further to the left than Shia LaBeouf, it's really good. The strongest parts are in my opinion the little self-contained stories, but the main story is very much worth reading as well. The series is set in the future and revolves around gonzo journalist and all-around foul-mouthed jerkoff Spider Jerusalem, who takes on societal ills and politics with his newspaper column, borderline or even outright criminal activities and tons of drugs, cigarettes and booze. Read that shit.

Fairyland.jpg

I Hate Fairyland, also sometimes titled Fuck Fairyland, is a send-up of traditional fairy tale stories. Our protagonist, a girl named Gertrude, one day falls though a suddenly appearing hole and finds herself in Fairyland, where she is supposed to go though a magical and delightful quest that should take about one day. The Queen provides her with a guide - a cigar-smoking, morose fly named Larry - and a map and sends her off, just like all the other girls that once had been "invited" for an adventure to Fairyland.
Unfortunately for everyone involved, Gertrude really sucks at this whole "magical quest"-thing, because 27 years later, she still has not even remotely completed it. Because Fairyland is, well, magical, her body has stayed exactly the same for all this time. Her mind has not. Gertrude's anger, despair and malicious personality lead to hilarious scene after hilarious scene, especially since the inhabitants of Fairyland are just as "colorful" as she is. Here is an example:

Slug1.jpg
Slug2.jpg
Discuss.

DeanTheAdequate

Re: The Good Comics Thread

Post by DeanTheAdequate » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Trans-Met fell off the rails completely after (I wish we had a spoiler tag) the Smiler wins the election. What should have been an escalation of danger turned into so much plot armor it kind of ruined the ending for me. But it's rather late in the series and the single shots on various topics are the best stories. Tying the character down with a single plotline of the election was a mistake.

And I Hate Fairyland looks sweet. Heard about it, but haven't partaken, but now it's on my list.

I should contribute, so I shall.

This is a comic about the Food and Drug Administration in a future where the bird flu devastated the world. But this isn't the FDA that makes sure China keeps lead out of your toothpaste. This is the FDA that hires psychics with food bent talents to fight Russian vampires, find secret chicken flesh smuggling operations, and deploy a cyborg chicken to fight terrors that could destroy mankind.

Tony Chu is a Cibopath. When he takes a bite out of anything he gets a psychic impression of what that food has been through. With this power as a guide he uncovers plot after plot while going about his duties in the FDA.

Besides some neat fights, off the wall humor and some very real and well handled drama, Chew is possibly one of the best comics I've ever read.

Did I mention fighting Russian Vampires?

Are cape comics dead? Well yes and no. Yes in the idea that the past few years have turned the fun of superheroes into puppets for an agenda, no in the fact that when it comes to the print runs made for kids Spider Man will always be a neat idea.

But for us old timers or those who appreciate superhero comics and just want to relive the good, the bad, and the weirdness that is cape stuff there is Astro City. The stories in these books are generally short affairs, don't focus on one particular character for the most part, and really delves into a reality where not only are super powers real, but they have had the ups and downs in storytelling that have effected the medium in the USA.

One issue might be about how people with powers who don't become super heroes or villains live their lives. Another set of issues focuses on how the world's "Justice League" gets their assignments and figures out how to best wield their considerable power. Even the longer series have great tales, like "Confessions" where a mysterious crime fighter takes on a young ward just as capes are being vilified by the media and government, told in the point of view of this young man. It not only tells you a standard super hero story, it shows you the nuts and bolts of the world. How are "Sidekicks" chosen? How can you run a city filled with heroes? How does humanity adapt? On that note how does the individual?

And if you want some heroes punching gorilla-bees then by god they're going to give you that too.

Also Alex Ross does every cover.

The thoughtful Anime Outsider's writer with the golden voice.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Chew is just plain awesome. I'm glad to find another person who likes it.

Grizzly Shark: It's a three issue mini-series that's like a Scy-Fy channel monster flick in comic form, but with better humor and revels in what it is.

Grimm Tales of Terror: If you're a fan of Tales From the Crypt (and shows like it), you'll enjoy this series. It plays on old urban legends, horror stories and gives them a new twist. The comics come out in a series of "seasons".

Se7en (mini-series): This one is hard to find, but Zenescope did a great job capturing John Doe's madness and the lives of a few of his victims.

Batman '66: It stays very true to the Adam West Batman series and has one of the best Harley Quinn redesigns.
"Lying: It's the responsible thing to do."-Louie, Ducktales (2017)

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:19 pm

This is a comic about the Food and Drug Administration in a future where the bird flu devastated the world. But this isn't the FDA that makes sure China keeps lead out of your toothpaste. This is the FDA that hires psychics with food bent talents to fight Russian vampires, find secret chicken flesh smuggling operations, and deploy a cyborg chicken to fight terrors that could destroy mankind.

Tony Chu is a Cibopath. When he takes a bite out of anything he gets a psychic impression of what that food has been through. With this power as a guide he uncovers plot after plot while going about his duties in the FDA.

Besides some neat fights, off the wall humor and some very real and well handled drama, Chew is possibly one of the best comics I've ever read.

Did I mention fighting Russian Vampires?

Chew is really funny as well. Hope the animated adaptation is good (although Felicia Day being in it has me worried a bit)
Have you finished those errands?

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm looking forward to the cartoon as well. I wonder if the SJW-infected comic fandom will adore or REEEEEE over the series.

Definitely one of the best mega comic crossovers ever. Unlike Aaron Diaz, George Perez knows to to make pages with more than seven panels look good and not cluttered while still having great detail. I find that listening to Rammstein while reading it enhances the mood.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Mon May 01, 2017 11:43 pm

I present to you The Flintstones comic. I was honestly surprised by this one. It's a dark humored satire that has actually made me laugh out loud and has some real heart at times. Fred is fleshed out more as an honorable, depressed at times character who tries to do the right thing. Even Mr. Slate gets some characterization and hints at a loneliness that he has. And the growing friendship between Bowling Ball and Vacuum Cleaner is cute.

I have a feeling Max-Vader might like issue 2 since there's a subplot about the local church having to create a new god when the citizens lose faith in the old one due to them realizing that the bird they worshiped can be used as a record player. (Then again, issue 2 is one of the best.) If there is a problem, it can get a little soap-boxy at times later on in the series, but it's still good.

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Wed May 03, 2017 11:57 am

Yaoi Huntress Earth wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:43 pm
I present to you The Flintstones comic. I was honestly surprised by this one. It's a dark humored satire that has actually made me laugh out loud and has some real heart at times. Fred is fleshed out more as an honorable, depressed at times character who tries to do the right thing. Even Mr. Slate gets some characterization and hints at a loneliness that he has. And the growing friendship between Bowling Ball and Vacuum Cleaner is cute.

I have a feeling Max-Vader might like issue 2 since there's a subplot about the local church having to create a new god when the citizens lose faith in the old one due to them realizing that the bird they worshiped can be used as a record player. (Then again, issue 2 is one of the best.) If there is a problem, it can get a little soap-boxy at times later on in the series, but it's still good.
Oh yeah, I got the first issue of this. I originally thought it was a satirical version of The Flintstones where they were putting in realism and drama on purpose as part of the joke, but then after I saw that it continued into the later issues, I realized that's just how they were adapting it.

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Wed May 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Yaoi Huntress Earth wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:43 pm

That is a really good comic and one of my favorites.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:44 am

You wouldn't think the concept of a crossover with Elmer Fudd and Batman would be good, but it is. Heck, the concept alone sounds like something Tails Gets Trolled might've came up with if they thought of it first (Elmer thinks killed his wife and now wants revenge and later Elmer and Batman go and beat-up the other Looney Toons). What makes this work is how Elmer is portrayed as a normal man who takes on a Sin City-eske style while the other Looney Toons are a more human style (Bugs the Bunny) while still making clever references to the cartoons. It's pretty fun actually.

I also hear that the Jonah Hex and Yosemite Sam crossover is pretty good, too.

Gavin E. Sparks

Post by Gavin E. Sparks » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 am

I made a thread about it but Warship Jolly Roger is pretty good if you like sci-fi.

Also, I would like to that Gargoyles has continued in the form of a comic and it's really fucking good.